Isaac Bennetch on 14 Dec 2007 14:52:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Home Linux Box - Google Apps for email

  • From: "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Home Linux Box - Google Apps for email
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:51:58 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=J4FFKkP9skHmi1HfScz5pbi9/qsuHxHDn/ozl0Qrg2A=; b=BxGW5F3E3HNjpPQIl7WCQfZXi8F4ESywAVK5eQE6BTgxWmtPorkja2Jbx/HSKI4vlvMYJBpIeRsfbnrQ9SzrKMRLviTi6mdyL38+qrsJRlK+8A6Xhb0XsGDZmHG84thYsWeDBiMSrgyqBDcBvLTeo+xBfUYUNxgKxMUNFtk/DD4=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this info. As I just found out my current hosting provider
(a buddy's Linux box) may be going away; I was just investigating
doing exactly this just a day or two before your message arrived. As I
do more research next week I may have more questions for you, I hope
you won't mind if I hit you up in a few days.

To make sure I understand your configuration correctly; you've got
your DNS records pointing to your home-based Linux box for your MX
record, which receives the mail then relays it to Google? I'm not
quite sure I understand how your description fits together. Why relay
through your local box at all instead of pointing the MX record to
Google and not having to worry about your local server? For that
matter, why use Google at all instead of running SquirrelMail or some
other webmail application at home? What happens if you have a local
outage (upgrade, power failure, ISP outage); do you have a backup MX?

Thanks for your time
~isaac