Mike Chirico on 14 Dec 2007 15:46:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Home Linux Box - Google Apps for email

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:35:30AM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007 16:29:11 Mike Chirico wrote:
> Mike, I'm not clear as to what you are trying to accomplish in this
> complicated setup.  You, or someone else, suggested running mail through
> Google where the current mail provider doesn't provide IMAP.  I followed the
> suggestion and it is working very well.
>
> It appears that what Gmail does is retrieve mail via POP from your other mail
> account and tag it in the Gmail inbox with a label identifying the other
> account.  Nothing complicated, and it helps in situations where users can't
> forward the other account's mail.
>
> I'm not sure why you would need EveryDNS or Postfix for this.

EveryDNS can assign a domain name to a dynamic IP address. It makes it
possible to remotely login to your home computer. Comcast or Verizon
may change the IP address once or twice a year. But, that's okay
because that DNS record will get updated. This is also an issue if
you're running Tomcat or Apache on your home computer.

But for Mail (the DNS MX record), you may not want it delivered
directly to Google. EveryDNS gives you this option.

Relaying mail to Google Apps is nice for sending email at the command
prompt. True, without Google Apps it's possible to send email directly
from your home computer, but the IP address that it's coming from
(local Comcast or Verizon IP) are probably blacklisted. In addition,
Google Apps provides a backup for all sent email and received. Plus,
their search capabilities can be leveraged.

For me the biggest advantage is getting email sent from the command
prompt, since I have a Oregon Weather station connected to my Linux
box that sends out alerts for flooding and temperature changes. Any
Perl or bash script doesn't have to be specifically modified to
connect to Gmail. The local MTA (Postfix in this case) takes care of
sending the email.  Plus, it's possible to send email using mutt.

Regards,

Mike