Matthew Rosewarne on 14 Dec 2007 15:23:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] AV software for Linux

On Friday 14 December 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> Steve, I've been using *buntu since Warty, and it has always prompted me
> for the user password as your option B.
>
> Yes, a code-based virus may not know the user password, but the virus that
> sits between the keyboard and the chair might.

If it's any difference, sudo can be set to require the root password instead
of the user's password.

Also, it would be possible (and recommended) to have a central logging server,
and have syslogd send any important lines to it directly.

If you give out the root password, it becomes inordinately difficult to
prevent PEBKAC errors.  SELinux would help, but still tends to be a bear to
set up.  AppArmor seems to have received more criticism than praise by most,
and would seem to have a rather uncertain development future:

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9796140-39.html