Art Alexion on 14 Dec 2007 14:59:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] AV software for Linux

On Friday 14 December 2007 09:13:06 Steve Morgan wrote:
> > Which is a reason not to use sudo.
>
> No, still use sudo.  You can set up the sudoers file in two different
> ways:  A) the user can type in sudo <command> and it gets executed
> right away (like how it is set up default in Ubuntu), or B) the user
> can type in sudo <command> and it will prompt for their own password
> before execution.  The theoretical virii will have no idea what the
> user's own password is and therefore would not be able to execute the
> command.  Do indeed use sudo, but have it require their password to
> execute anything when attempting to execute a command with sudo.

Steve, I've been using *buntu since Warty, and it has always prompted me for
the user password as your option B.

Yes, a code-based virus may not know the user password, but the virus that
sits between the keyboard and the chair might.