James Barrett on 17 Dec 2007 17:14:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] firefox passwords

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:02:35PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> moving stuff to a new computer.  know where firefox stores my bookmarks.  no
> clue where it stores the passwords.  mozilla web site isn't talking.  does
> anyone know?

To copy everything over:
on the old box:

$ cd && tar cvzf mozilla-backup.tar.gz .mozilla*

then copy to the new machine and untar it in your $HOME directory.  If
you run into any problems, then ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini needs a
fixin'.

I've kept entire home partitions from one distro to the next and have
had few problems if any.  In fact I once used the same home partion
after switching from FreeBSD 5.something to SuSE 9.2, and I don't
remember there being many problems.