Art Alexion on 19 Dec 2007 05:47:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Adding new drives to fstab

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 00:44:15 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> > One last question.  This is not so much to get it to work so much as the
> > best practice as it may affect programs such as kscd and k3b.
>
> I'm not sure about kscd (it's antique!), but k3b uses HAL directly to find
> drives, so it won't be affected by changing device names.

If you just want to play an audo CD in X, kscd is great.  Lightweight and
supports CD-TEXT (for homemade CDs) and CDDB.  Docks in the tray.  What more
can you want?

> > Should I put entries for them in /etc/fstab instead, and with 2 devices,
> > what should I mount them on?  That is, can I rename the default
> > /media/cdrom0 and its symlink /media/cdrom to, say /media/dvd0 with a
> > symlink /media/Memorex and /media/dvd1 with a symlink /media/Samsung?
> > Does it make a difference that the Samsung is SATA and the Memorex is
> > IDE?  Or should I just let hal handle it?
>
> You should probably leave the fstab alone with regard to removable disks
> and let HAL do the work.  I'm not sure how Suse handles it, but you might
> want to look for the "pmount" command.

Home PC; Kubuntu Gutsy, but thanks for remembering.

> If you need to refer to a specific
> device in some application, you should use the /dev/disk/by-id directory.
> If you absolutely need to know that a specific device gets mounted to a
> specific place, you can add an entry to fstab like:
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/idOfTheDrive	/media/someFolder	iso9660,udf	noauto,user

Thanks.  I'll see what happens and use this for reference if I need to.