TuskenTower on 20 Dec 2007 08:51:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Kubuntu Gutsy and kdesu

On Dec 19, 2007 8:53 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure this is a kdesu or just a sudo issue.
>
> Prior versions of Kubuntu "remembered" the sudo password in a particular
> konsole shell for a while, but wouldn't used it in a separate shell.
> Likewise, if I launched an app using <alt+F2> kdesu appname, when I entered
> the password in the ensuing input box, it was only good for that app.
>
> I'm not sure about multiple xterms, but certainly Gutsy now remembers the root
> password for subsequent kdesu apps.  This is disconcerting and dangerous.  Is
> there a way to turn it off?

Art,
I don't know about kdesu, but if its a sudo front-end, you can disable
the timeout (default 15) in /etc/sudoers (timestamp_timeout option).
Also, sudo -k or sudo -K (I just checked the man page to remember that
command).

It may be that attacking the problem with /etc/sudoers is overly
broad.  The timestamps are saved in /var/run/SOMEWHER (sudo?) with
filenames based on the tty (at least, from what I remember).  You
could simply blast that timestamp file?  nah, you would have to do
that every time.  I guess, rtfm on kdesu. :)

HTH
Amul