TuskenTower on 20 Dec 2007 08:54:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Kubuntu Gutsy and kdesu

On Dec 20, 2007 11:51 AM, TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2007 8:53 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> could simply blast that timestamp file?  nah, you would have to do
> that every time.  I guess, rtfm on kdesu. :)

So I did what I said to do and lo,
"       KDE su is a graphical front end to the Unix su utility. It
allows you to run programs as another user by entering their password.
It is not a SUID
       root program, but runs unprivileged. The system program su is
used for acquiring special privileges.

       kdesu has the ability to store passwords for the convenience of
users. The passwords are NOT written to disk, but stored in memory
using a special
       program,  kdesud. This is only done if the user specifies that
the password be remembered. In this case, passwords are stored in
memory for a cer‐
       tain period of time before being removed. kdesud runs in such a
way that only the user who entered the password originally can use it,
 though  no
       one,  not even the user who originally entered the password,
can retrieve the password that is stored by kdesud. Through these
measures, users can
       avoid having to repeatedly enter root passwords or other
passwords, without a significant risk to overall system security."

kdesu has nothing to do with sudo.  I guess, don't use kdesu?

Amul