JP Vossen on 20 Dec 2007 14:00:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Turbo Tax on Linux? (was re: Adding new drives to fstab)

 > From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net
 >
 > Which is why open source software, like kmymoney2 should be supported.
 >
 > There is a huge difference in market dynamics between financial
 > software and tax software.

Agree on both points, which is why my original point was about Turbo
Tax.  There are (reasonably) viable alternatives for all levels
(personal on up to enterprise) of financial software, but I'm not aware
of any tax software in general and anything from Quicken in particular,
that runs on Linux.  (Not counting VMs, WINE, or web-based apps.)

 > The former gets updated for stability and features,

Or in the case of Quicken as a company, just to force people to give
them more money, because they can.

 > whereas the latter needs constant updating to adhere to the
 > tax laws.

Yup.

 > You can feasibly use an old version of financial software...

Until Quicken locks you out of it via an "update" that arbitrarily cuts
off support for on-line access to financial institutions that was
working just fine.

If you haven't guessed I agree with Amul that Quicken is not a very nice
company, business practice-wise at least.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.