Matthew Rosewarne on 20 Dec 2007 12:12:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] email hosting

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Isaac Bennetch wrote:
> I'm wondering what everyone does for their email hosting. I imagine
> many of you, like me, have your own domain name registered and receive
> mail through an address at that domain. What do you do for email
> hosting (and web hosting, for that matter)?

I recently had a more abrupt change in email hosting.  After looking around, I
went with the one-time-fee service from fastmail.fm.  I've only ever heard
positive comments about it, and I would recommend it myself also.  I use
disconnected/offline IMAP so I can always have a backup of my mail, something
whose importance became _very_ apparent during the switch.

If GMail had been able to use IMAP when I switched, it would have probably
been a more difficult decision.  Still, I'm not a fan of the GMail's system,
with its tags and such instead of the standard (and *portable*) folders.  I
don't use webmail and am no fan of ads, so whoever can give me secure
IMAP/SMTP access (and maybe webmail if I absolutely need it) is my pick.

At some point, I'd like to possibly host my own mail, with fastmail as a
fail-over, but I doubt I'll get going on that any time soon.

The most important thing I would have to say here is:
	Don't host your mail anywhere where you cannot trivially back it up.