Mike Leone on 27 Dec 2007 09:37:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] email hosting

Isaac Bennetch (bennetch@gmail.com) had this to say on 12/19/07 at 20:45:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm wondering what everyone does for their email hosting. I imagine
> many of you, like me, have your own domain name registered and receive
> mail through an address at that domain. What do you do for email
> hosting (and web hosting, for that matter)?

I run it all on my home server.

> We heard from Mike Chirico last week who passes his mail through
> Gmail/Google Apps. I imagine some of you run mailservers on a box in
> your home (how do you deal with network outages and being RBLed for
> being on a residential IP?), some probably have colocated servers or

Never been RBLed, actually, in the 7 years I've run my own personal little
mail server.

> dedicated hosting "somewhere" (where? is it cheap? Do you get enough
> control over your account?). I'm curious what works for you.
>
> I currently have all my hosting through a friend's colocated server,
> but he wants to discontinue running the server; so I'm looking for a
> new mail host. I run fetchmail on the server and then IMAP or mutt or
> webmail to see all my accounts from my central location and would love

That's what I do. Courier IMAP, and then mutt over ssh remotely (or
Squirrelmail), and Thunderbird at home.

> to continue with that flexibility. I fear running my own server on my
> residential cable modem line because of reliability concerns; I can't
> afford to lose work-related email if my cable goes out.

I have DSL. But my mail to my mike-leone.com domain is not work-related.