Isaac Bennetch on 19 Dec 2007 17:45:04 -0800

[PLUG] email hosting

Hello list,

I'm wondering what everyone does for their email hosting. I imagine
many of you, like me, have your own domain name registered and receive
mail through an address at that domain. What do you do for email
hosting (and web hosting, for that matter)?

We heard from Mike Chirico last week who passes his mail through
Gmail/Google Apps. I imagine some of you run mailservers on a box in
your home (how do you deal with network outages and being RBLed for
being on a residential IP?), some probably have colocated servers or
dedicated hosting "somewhere" (where? is it cheap? Do you get enough
control over your account?). I'm curious what works for you.

I currently have all my hosting through a friend's colocated server,
but he wants to discontinue running the server; so I'm looking for a
new mail host. I run fetchmail on the server and then IMAP or mutt or
webmail to see all my accounts from my central location and would love
to continue with that flexibility. I fear running my own server on my
residential cable modem line because of reliability concerns; I can't
afford to lose work-related email if my cable goes out.

Thanks!
~isaac