JP Vossen on 2 Jan 2008 21:02:21 -0800

[PLUG] Monit instead of Nagios

Everyone has heard of the monitoring tool Nagios, and perhaps some of
you have been put off by its reputation for being difficult and time
consuming to get working right.  I know I have.  Here is another tool to
consider.  http://tildeslash.com/monit/

Monit is intended to monitor processes and resources on a *single host*,
but it can also monitor various aspects of remote hosts.  For a
relatively small and simple environment, such as mine, this is Good Enough.

DISCLAIMER 1: I have never actually attempted a Nagios install; even
though I want a monitoring tool, its reputation was enough to keep me
putting off tackling it.

DISCLAIMER 2: I actually did RTFM
(http://tildeslash.com/monit/doc/manual.php) a bit, but it turns out I
shouldn't have bothered; at least for my good enough, first pass.

I'm now monitoring 8 daemons on my main server, 3 of which are trivial
copy & paste & tweak "custom" monitors.  I'm also monitoring 14 other
hosts, 2 of which are firewalls, 1 is remote in NJ, and 2 are W2KPro.
The host "monitoring" is an ICMP ping at worst, or that plus checking
various daemons and ports (SSH, NTP, etc.) at best.

Details
=======
Monit is in the default repos for Debian and in Universe for Ubuntu.  It
literally took me longer to figure out *what* to monitor that it did to
fudge up a basic config, using a combination of the the stock Debian
Etch /etc/monit/monitrc file and
http://tildeslash.com/monit/doc/examples.php.

Here is the complete process:

# aptitude install monit
# vi /etc/default/monit
	Change to "startup=1"
# vi /etc/monit/monitrc
	Tweak settings as needed
	Copy & paste examples from in config file
	  and http://tildeslash.com/monit/doc/examples.php
# monit -T /etc/monit/monitrc
# vi /etc/monit/monitrc
	Fix all the stuff that copy & paste got wrong *
# monit -T /etc/monit/monitrc
# /etc/init.d/monit start

Then browse to: http://myserver.example.com:2812/

That's it!

* The config code I copy & pasted had a few things like wrong PID file
paths and init script names (e.g., named --> bind9, sshd --> ssh).
These were trivial to find and fix using monit -t (test).

Finally, this tool really is intended for local machine monitoring,
process restarting, and such.  For example, I don't see an easy way to
monitor disk space or CPU load on a remote machine.  I can think of a
few ways to hack that in, but it isn't Just There like it is for the
local machine.  I'd also guess you could goof around with SSH commands
in the "start/stop program" lines to get some limited remote service
restart functions, but that adds a lot of moving parts.  You'd probably
be better off running a local copy, or moving to a monitoring tool
intended for such things, like Nagios <ducks>.

However, it also have a wide variety of other local checks, such as file
and directory checksum, timestamp, permissions and more.  You could make
it a mini tripwire, but more interesting is its ability to restart a
daemon if that daemon's config file has changed, for example.  The PDF
preso at http://tildeslash.com/monit/doc/monit.pdf isn't bad, though I
did get more out of skimming the actual manual.

For my purposes Monit is quite Good Enough, and I'm *very* pleased with
the product and the return on my time investment for implementing it.  YMMV.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.