Brian Stempin on 10 Jan 2008 10:24:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Config Files and Steam Engines

Dan,
I have run against the same problems that you have with the Windows registry.  I totally and humbly agree.

At the same time, I must also point out two other things:
(1)  I don't think it's 100% fair to blame the said flaw on the registry.  If I wanted to Write a C or C++ program poorly (you know, storing all data in char[] s), there's nothing stopping me.  I don't see anyone blaming the compiler for this type of incompetence....they blame the programmer.  Why would this not apply to the specific fault that you pointed out?  While there are a lot of things in the registry that can stand improvement, my opinion is that most of the commonly discovered flaws are of the "PEBKAC" nature.  :p

(2)  The overall message that I was trying to get across was that, though it is commonly misused, at lease Windows and OSX provide *some sort* of framework for doing the things that Matthew is describing.  I never said that they were great tools...I simply stated their presence made automation and uniformity an easier goal to achieve.