Brent Saner on 11 Jan 2008 18:40:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

(begin paranoia...)
i wonder if that's at all due to M$ pressure to help market for their Home "Server"

On Jan 11, 2008 9:36 PM, Brian Vagnoni < bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
Well there have been some interesting developments with Comcast and their quest to make the internet safe & controlled for their users. I can see them as well as other ISP's quickly becoming like AOL. However, there is a glimmer of hope for the enthusiast. All of my servers are in my home a residential account with Comcast along with my residential TV. Apparently there has been a change of heart or mind set at Comcast. They are now allowing people with residential service to obtain "unrestricted" business class high speed accounts without changing their residential TV service. These business class accounts are the same amount of money as the residential ones, and you are allowed to host whatever you "pretty much" want within reason. They will also provide the much desired reverse lookups for your domain name along with 5 to 13 static WAN IP's. I'm getting an 8x1 line for $89.95/month 2 year contract(the only think I don't like but you can transfer it to another address as long as Comcast can service it). For the same ADSL2 8x1 is like $149.00/month. When this major shift happened I'm not sure. I remember that I couldn't even get a return phone call from the business department when I told them I was a residential user not too long ago. I will keep people posted on this and how the service is.

Brian Vagnoni

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols: no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.