Brian Vagnoni on 11 Jan 2008 18:42:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

How else am I suppose to heat my apartment and keep the kitties warm :-). Power to the people, give it up and you won't get it back.

Brian Vagnoni

From: John Von Essen [mailto:john@essenz.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:30:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

Its also not Green! All these people leaving computers on 24x7 to do
one mailbox. 1000 PC's shutoff for an additional 12 hours a day (or in
sleep mode) is 1200Kilowatt-hours (figure 120watts for your PC) a day
saved (28,000Kwhrs a month - enough monthly power to run 25 homes). And
I would venture to say, and this is a complete estimate, that in all of
Philly and surrounding areas, maybe a couple 1000 people run their PC's
24x7 just to run a few services like smtp - and it could easily be
more. Each person would save about $5.60 a month in power - and you can
easily afford a hosting package for that.

-john