Brian Vagnoni on 11 Jan 2008 20:51:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

It's suppose to be an SMC 8014 gateway/router or modem/bridge. I would only consider a modem/bridge. I could just talk them into letting me keep the Motor surf I have which has been extremely reliable.

Just a note about reliability and internet connections. I have a client that couldn't get cable, or dsl. So we went with satellite internet. Though latency can be an issue for our app it is fine. Once setup I've never had to go back there and reboot the device in  2 - 3 years. Never a service outage in that time. It's expensive but it does work and you can get it anywhere with a LOS South & 80% frenzel zone.

Brian Vagnoni

Intriguing. My local comcast business rep told me just yesterday that I
could get a 6m/down 768k/up for $63/month with a 1-3 year contract and
one static IP address. It was tempting and I almost bit, but then
decided to ask about what equipment I could run. He stated that I would
have to let them install an unservicable (by me) gateway. FWIU the
option would exist to use it as a bridge but I would still not be able
to circumvent their firewall.