JP Vossen on 11 Jan 2008 23:12:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

 > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:36:38 -0500
 > From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>

 > [... Comcast is] now allowing people with residential service to
obtain "unrestricted" business class high speed accounts without
changing their residential TV service.
[...]
 > They will also provide the much desired reverse lookups for your
domain name along with 5 to 13 static WAN IP's.

OK, but are they giving you static IPs *outside* their normal (which is
to say normally blacklisted) DHCP ranges?

And can they actually get the DNS right?  DNS (well, stable, usable DNS)
has long been one service that Comcast simply can't wrap their little
minds around.  I'm convinced that 90% of the "my Internet isn't working
right" problems my neighbors have seen (not counting actual outages,
which in my area were never bad), is just that the Comcst DNS
infrastructure doesn't work right.  I never had any of those problems,
but I switched to using Speakeasy (I'm also their customer) and later
OpenDNS servers almost as soon as I got Comcast.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.