JP Vossen on 11 Jan 2008 23:20:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] samba question

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:21:21 -0500 (EST)
> From: bill@billhance.com
>
> I have an old red hat 9 samba server, and have built a replacement with
> Fedora Core 8. [...]

You might want to consider using CentOS.org instead of Fedora for stable
server use.  IIRC Fedora goes 6 months between releases while RHEL goes
3 years.

CentOS, for anyone not familiar, is simply RHEL with the Red Hat
copyrighted and/or trademarked material removed, but otherwise
recompiled from RHEL SRPMs, perfectly legally under the terms of the
GPL.  Either RHEL or CentOS are better for server use than Fedora,
though I'd argue that Red Hat doesn't have a clue what the words
"minimal install" mean.  But I digress.

I personally prefer Debian on the server and Ubuntu on the desktop, but
getting used to The Debian Way is a big change if you are already used
to The Red Hat Way.  (And don't even get me started on the quickly
moving target that is The Ubuntu Way. :)

My $0.02,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.