Jeremy Kister on 11 Jan 2008 19:25:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

On 1/11/2008 9:30 PM, John Von Essen wrote:
> I believe Comcast is still allowing the mail submission port (587/tcp)
> - so that can be used to relay mail to a relay server. Most smtp relay
> servers support 587. But I'm not 100% sure. I know previous customers
> of mine who have been smtp blocked were able to submit to my servers
> using port 587.

they are.  My MUA is configured to send mail out on port 465, but that's
not the point.  The point is that the MTA on my workstation is not
configured to send mail to other hosts on any port besides port 25.
think cron messages delivered to a remote account.  fixing the issue on
my end is trivial.  that's not the point either.

> I'm a Comcast hater too, but..... Its actually a good thing what their
> doing. You really are shooting yourself in the foot when running your
> own server behind Comcast. Most recipients wont get your email anyway
> because your in DUL blacklists, or the recipient is blocking Comcast -
> or someone with your IP from earlier abuse was blacklisted.

who's running a server on the end of a residential comcast connection?
not me.

I disagree with you about it being a good thing.  If they can change the
service that they've given me a 2 year contract for, then what's to stop
them from blocking port 80/tcp out and telling me that i have to use
their proxy, tell me i can only visit sites on port 443, or even tell me
  i can only visit sites that are set up on gopher.

> It will cut down on spam significantly, since most of it comes from
> infected broadband PCs. Honestly, if Comcast, Verizon, SBC, Qwest, and
> ATT blocked residential broadband smtp - the public would see a big
> change. Combined those providers cover about 60 million users.

no doubt, but my complaint is about changing the rules in the middle of
the game.

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./