John Von Essen on 11 Jan 2008 18:25:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

I believe Comcast is still allowing the mail submission port (587/tcp)
- so that can be used to relay mail to a relay server. Most smtp relay
servers support 587. But I'm not 100% sure. I know previous customers
of mine who have been smtp blocked were able to submit to my servers
using port 587.

I'm a Comcast hater too, but..... Its actually a good thing what their
doing. You really are shooting yourself in the foot when running your
own server behind Comcast. Most recipients wont get your email anyway
because your in DUL blacklists, or the recipient is blocking Comcast -
or someone with your IP from earlier abuse was blacklisted.

Its also not Green! All these people leaving computers on 24x7 to do
one mailbox. 1000 PC's shutoff for an additional 12 hours a day (or in
sleep mode) is 1200Kilowatt-hours (figure 120watts for your PC) a day
saved (28,000Kwhrs a month - enough monthly power to run 25 homes). And
I would venture to say, and this is a complete estimate, that in all of
Philly and surrounding areas, maybe a couple 1000 people run their PC's
24x7 just to run a few services like smtp - and it could easily be
more. Each person would save about $5.60 a month in power - and you can
easily afford a hosting package for that.

It will cut down on spam significantly, since most of it comes from
infected broadband PCs. Honestly, if Comcast, Verizon, SBC, Qwest, and
ATT blocked residential broadband smtp - the public would see a big
change. Combined those providers cover about 60 million users.

-john