LeRoy Cressy on 12 Jan 2008 05:17:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

Any email that you send is not secure unless you encrypt it in a method
that only the end recipient can decode it.  PGP, GnuPG, Enigmail and
other tools can do this for you.

Encryption only adds a layer of security and is not fool proof.  It has
been stated that the NSA has been reading encrypted mail for quite some
time.  The higher the level of encryption the harder it will be to
crack.  This also includes the use of good pass phrases.

A plain text message can be read by anyone while it is in route and
while it is sitting on a remote server.  If you do not have physical
control of the remote server you have no idea how secure or how open
that server is.

An lone encrypted message on that remote server would be interesting,
but if all messages except spam were encrypted, then it would make the
chore of the government attempting to read the messages much more difficult.

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 21:30 -0500, John Von Essen wrote:

> I'll consider keeping my mail off-site sometime after the government
> agrees that they can't snoop it at their leisure. They currently think
> they have the right to grab your email any time it is stored.
>
> http://www.switched.com/2007/11/05/the-us-government-wants-to-read-your-e-mail-without-a-warrant/
>
> I can NOT have them intercepting my mailing lists, inbound spam, and
> book club notifications :)
>

>       --Matt

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/