JP Vossen on 17 Jan 2008 11:55:06 -0800

[PLUG] Lisp preso?

Every time I read Paul Graham, I think I should look into learning some
Lisp, but so far I have yet to really make a good start.  Is there
anyone in the group who'd be willing to do an "Intro to Lisp" (perhaps
similar to the Erlang presos) talk for PLUG West and/or North?

If so, is anyone besides me interested?

What I learned of formal programming is almost 20 years old.  I'm
top-down, procedural, and I never really "got" this newfangled Object
Oriented stuff, so that's where I'm coming from.  I've written a couple
of trivial C programs, with the book in my lap; otherwise I'm bash &
Perl all the way.  So I'd be interested in something like:

* Why use Lisp
* Lisp and related languages (Scheme, etc.?)
* What's the "best" Lisp compiler for Linux (whatever "best" means) and
how do we get it (clisp?)
* What's with all the danged ()'s
* "Hello world" from scratch, after installing some Lisp
* How to "think in Lisp" (like, thinking in Perl requires hashes and
Regexp :)
* A more complicated example than Hello World
* Other?
* What are the best books (I've looked, there aren't many)

See also:
	http://xkcd.com/224/
	http://xkcd.com/297/
	http://xkcd.com/312/
	http://paulgraham.com/

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.