Brian Stempin on 17 Jan 2008 13:48:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] MythTV DVD Playback

That blue screen is most likely the "video overlay" (sort of like a "green
screen" used for special effects), used to offload the DVD playback from the
CPU to a dedicated DVD-decoder on the video hardware.  Many cards only allow
use of the overlay on one screen (usually the first), which would cause
problems when playing DVDs on a multi-head setup.

This is a single head set-up.  I'm using a DVI->svideo dongle to connect the system to my TV.  Also, the blue screen only happens when I'm using a TV as a monitor, which is why I was thinking that it might have been a problem with my X config.

It might be possible to eliminate this problem by somehow disabling the
hardware DVD decoder and using the CPU, or possibly by fixing the driver.

Is there anybody else out there that runs Ubuntu (or any other form of Linux) on an Intel Mac?  If so, what drivers are you using for your video card?  It'd be nice to see what other drivers people are using and to find out how well they're working.

On Jan 17, 2008 2:17 PM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
On Monday 14 January 2008, Brian Stempin wrote:
> I've purchased a DVI->SVideo dongle for my mac.  If I set the resolution to
> 640x480 (**), everything displays on my TV fine except for DVD playback
> (*).  If I attempt to play a DVD while my Mac is connected to my TV, I hear
> sound, but I see a blue screen.  If I play the same DVD while the unit is
> connected to a computer monitor (running at the same resolution, mind you)
> the DVD shows up.  However, the DVD image is stretched....it should have
> black bars above and below it.  Instead, the image is zoomed, pushing parts
> of the image off of the left and right hand sides of my monitor.
>
> (1)  How do I get rid of the blue screen when using my TV as a display?
> (2)  How do I correctly resize the DVD playback?

While I'm not too familiar with that particular hardware, consider that this
might be happening either due to a hardware issue or incomplete drivers.