Art Alexion on 19 Jan 2008 08:51:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Friday 18 January 2008 21:47:58 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> I *believe* (again, no experience doing it myself) that you use IMAP for
> KMail.  For KOrganizer, there's a plugin for connecting to an Exchange
> server.  Googling got me a few pages with instructions on connecting
> kaddressbook using LDAP.  Most of what I can say about this comes from
> googling around for info.

Exchange's implementation of IMAP is poor, so IMAP access is not satisfactory.
This is not a kmail issue but an Exchange one.  Evolution gets around this by
using the OWA (http/webmail) interface.  This works really well because MS
has tried to implement all of the features in the webmail interface.
However, this causes problems whenever a new version of Exchange is
introduced.  Because OWA is just HTML to the client, backward compatiblity is
not an issue.  Everything takes place on the server.  But changing those
calls breaks evolution-exchange.  Currently, evolution doesn't support
Exchange 2007 for that reason.  It won't until at least March and I don't
know when the update will be backported to LTS-type distros.