Stephen Gran on 19 Jan 2008 16:07:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 06:54:39PM -0500, Brian Vagnoni said:
> Ok, remote wipe and push are similar to what Black Berry's have but
> these work with Windows Mobile devices as well as Nokia phones. If a
> phone is lost or stolen you can wipe the phone from your desktop. A
> e-mail push service pushes the mail out to the phones the second it
> comes it, rather than having to have the user connect remotely.

I don't know off the top of my head what replacements there are for remote
wipe, but it sounds useful.  The push service sounds like it could be
easily handled with an alias lookup that maps users to blackberry or
phone addresses, presumably with an extra LDAP lookup in your MTA
routing.

> How much daily support would it require to keep it going? 6000 users
> is a lot to manage.

I don't think a significant amount.  It depends on whether you also have
to admin the end user hardware, of course, but the server side can
(unless they do vast amounts of email) probably be handled with a single
reasonable machine.  That shouldn't be more than a few hours a week to
keep up with security upgrades and the occasional trouble ticket.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Keep emotionally active.  Cater to your |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | favorite neurosis.                      |