Matthew Rosewarne on 19 Jan 2008 16:41:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Saturday 19 January 2008, Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> I realize there are many OSS options. But for me my time is better spent
> else where. I get an all in one solution, that runs on everything from
> Windows to Linux to MAC to BSD, plus AV support, Webmail, Integrated Push,
> POP/IMAP, NNTP, LDAP/Open Dir, SSL, mobile platform support, remote wipe,
> and support. I have an entire school district running on it so it is very
> scalable, that's like 6000+ users students and teachers. It's all about
> priorities for me I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel all the time.
> I don't think I could find all of that in a single open source product and
> the more ingredients one adds to the soup the more kluegy things become.

Some of these things sound like you're looking for far more than just a mail
server.  Have you looked at all at Kolab Groupware?  I'm not a sysadmin
(IANASA?), but it sounds a bit to me like the sort of thing you're
describing.  Also, you can connect Outlook to it with a proprietary plugin.