Art Alexion on 20 Jan 2008 09:54:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

On Saturday 19 January 2008 19:32:02 James Barrett wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 07:19:16PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> > %!PS: The last version I even had installed on my machine was Win2k.
> > I've since been using various flavours of Linux exclusively.  I even have
> > a family member running Debian+KDE and, for the most part, liking it.
>
> I can beat that.  My Dad uses a Debian + JWM + a Belkin USB WiFi Dongle
> and he said to me a few months later: "That computer is the best thing
> that has ever happened to me!"
>
> (Mind you, he is 81 years old and was previously never online.)

The way it seems to work is that the less saavy users are, the easier it is
for them to adapt to a FOSS alternative.  It is the users who know the
esoteric excel stuff that balk.

My wife tapes important phone numbers to the back of her cell phone because
she can't figure out the phonebook feature.  I bought her a laptop with
Kubuntu last summer and she hasn't had a single problem.  I just had to teach
her to use OWA for her exchange-based work email, and set the defaults on
Open Office to save in MS formats so she can email the stuff to herself and
open it at work.