Malcolm J Harwood on 20 Jan 2008 09:56:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008 18:51:08 W. Chris Shank wrote:
> > Zimbra - but cluster it. To get Exchange like integration to Outlook
> > you'll need to purchase the commercial version to get the ZCS connector
> > for outlook, though it's not perfect. Having supported Exchange, I'll
> > take Zimbra+Outlook+ZCS over Outlook+Exchange+Windows 2003Server. If they
> > can tolerate the web client or an IMAP client - Zimbra is free OSS
> > otherwise.
>
> I'm confused.  It's free OSS, but you have to purchase the commercial
> version to get it to work?

No, just for some of the features. Blackberry and Outlook (non-IMAP) support
are commercial extras. (cf.
http://www.zimbra.com/products/product_editions.html for the list of what's
in the OSS vs commercial versions).

We're using it where I work (finally migrating off Groupwise) and it works
well. The web interface is actually usable (and I generally dislike web
interfaces) and the outlook support means migration is actually possible in a
mixed environment where the managers have to have their MS tools.

I'm actually considering using the OSS version on my own servers. The java
stack makes it a bit heavy weight for personal use though.