Matthew Rosewarne on 20 Jan 2008 13:28:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:>
> We're using it where I work (finally migrating off Groupwise) and it works
> well. The web interface is actually usable (and I generally dislike web
> interfaces) and the outlook support means migration is actually possible in
> a mixed environment where the managers have to have their MS tools.
>
> I'm actually considering using the OSS version on my own servers. The java
> stack makes it a bit heavy weight for personal use though.

You should give Kolab a try.  It uses existing FOSS (Postfix, OpenLDAP, etc)
and can be used either with a web interface or with standard protocols like
IMAP.

Outlook can use the "groupware" (as in integrated scheduling and such)
functionality with a proprietary plugin, though it can still use
mail/addressbook/etc using only IMAP/LDAP.

http://www.kolab.org/