Art Alexion on 21 Jan 2008 08:42:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Saturday 19 January 2008 13:33:06 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> > outlook and imap is almost useless. outlook likes to completely freeze
> > the interface during imap send/receive operations (ironically  - it
> > doesn't do this with POP - makes you go hmmm...). Also, they made it
> > realy hard to HIDE deleted messages (cause in IMAP delete = flag for
> > deletion later). So instead of the message going away - it remains
> > with with a line through it. MS's IMAP implementation is clearly
> > intended to allow IMAP connections while simultaneously discouraging
> > them by frustrating users. IMAP and Outlook should be avoided unless
> > you find a 3rd party app to allow better integration.
>
> Well, the IMAP is for KMail & others, not Outlook.  Still others suggest
> that Exchange's IMAP implementation is not exactly flawless...

Perhaps broken Exchange IMAP works well with broken Outlook IMAP.

The problem here is getting a Linux desktop client that connects to an
existing Exchange server.  For those of us tackling this issue, replacing the
server with Kolab or Zimbra is not an option.

The problem (for me at least) is not getting Outlook to connect to a
Linux-based mail server.