Art Alexion on 21 Jan 2008 10:35:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Monday 21 January 2008 12:49:43 Mike Leone wrote:
> Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> > On Monday 21 January 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> >> The problem here is getting a Linux desktop client that connects to an
> >> existing Exchange server.  For those of us tackling this issue,
> >> replacing the server with Kolab or Zimbra is not an option.
> >>
> >> The problem (for me at least) is not getting Outlook to connect to a
> >> Linux-based mail server.
> >
> > I was talking about keeping Exchange, but enabling IMAP only for
> > non-Outlook clients.
>
> Don't think you can specify which clients connect via IMAP. With
> Exhcnage (at least as far as Ex2003), IMAP support is either on or off.
> There are probably ways, utilizing Group Policy on Windows, to disable
> IMAP support in Outlook clients, perhaps

Yeah, you can turn it on and off per user somewhere.  I can't remember where,
maybe in AD.

IMAP is a great idea, in theory, were it not for the poor exchange
implementation of it.  But even once you get IMAP working satisfactorily, you
need to connect users to personal address books, and global address lists,
personal and shared calendars.  I set it all up once with kontact, but I
don't recall it be very satisfactory.