Kyle R. Burton on 22 Jan 2008 21:37:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Lisp preso?

I'm willing to put a presentation together for PLUG West.  I have
studied a bit about Lisp myself and probably know enough to tell
people how to get their feet wet, maybe give some interesting examples
and pointers to some things to pursue further.

Something that I wonder about is what to cover honestly.  For a "hit
the ground running quickly", my guess is that you'd want to know what
it is, how to get it, a few things to do with it (probably familiar
things?) and then what to look into further.

That kind of 100k foot intro can probably be done in about an hour.

What I'd think would be useful to show is how to do tasks that a
typical developer (of Python, Ruby or Perl) might have done so they
can see how it can be done using Lisp (eg: fetch a web page, serve a
web page, process a text file).

The problem with that is that it doesn't show a real difference.

My personal experience with Lisp is that it took me quite a long time
before I could 'get' what the point of some of the interesting
features were - I could talk about what I've found to be interesting,
though I don't know if I could make it easily understandable to
non-developers (and even then...as I said, I had to work to grok some
of the concepts).

I've taken a bit of time and put some slides together:

http://asymmetrical-view.com/lisp-presentation/

I've exported a PDF and an 'html' (pngs) from keynote.

It's certainly not done, and I feel like it falls apart a bit just
after the 'process a file' slide...which is where I stopped and where
I'll work to flesh more out.

Kyle