Matthew Rosewarne on 23 Jan 2008 09:41:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Odd hardware problem

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> [KSB] Would you still get a static charge if the PC is still grounded
> with the power supply plugged in?  I frequently use the home vacuum
> cleaner to suck up the dust when I open a PC, and haven't had a
> problem yet.

The static charge is caused by the fact that the air molecules are moving
rapidly while being sucked into a small space, and thus "rubbing" together.
It occurs right at the mouth of the vacuum nozzle, so it doesn't really
matter much whether you or your machine is grounded.

So in other words, stop that!  You can find online horror stories of people
who vacuum their machines and end up with a clean, if not terribly useful,
paperweight/boat-anchor/artificial-reef-candidate on their desk.