Tom H on 23 Jan 2008 18:27:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Odd hardware problem

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 12:09:35 pm Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Eric Lucas wrote:
> > I opened the case to vacuum the interior and the vents
>
> What exactly do you mean by vacuum, your household floor vacuum, or one of
> those little pen-style keyboard vacuums?
>
> Really in either case, you shouldn't be vacuuming *any* electronic
> components. The rushing air around the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner creates a
> significant static-electric charge that _will_ damage electronic
> components.  To clean a machine, you should definitely be using compressed
> air, possibly with the vacuum several feet away (not in contact with you or
> the computer) to catch the dust.

I,ve been an Electronics Tech for 20+ years.  I've vacuumed out tons of
electronics equipment and never have seen or heard of killing something just
by vacuuming it out.  Theoretically, compressed air can also pose the same
danger of static generation, that's why we have an ionized air gun at work
for cleaning Printed Circuit Boards.