Fred Stluka on 23 Jan 2008 15:24:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Odd hardware problem

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
Really in either case, you shouldn't be vacuuming *any* electronic components.
The rushing air around the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner creates a significant
static-electric charge that _will_ damage electronic components.  To clean a
machine, you should definitely be using compressed air, possibly with the
vacuum several feet away (not in contact with you or the computer) to catch
the dust.

Beware compressed air also.  Expansion consumes heat.  It can be
very cold coming out the nozzle.  Don't put the tip of the spray
tube right up against any fragile components.  I suspect I killed
an old dusty server that way a couple years back.

Generally, clean gently.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Yes,
too much dust can short things out, but cleaning is not always safe
either.  Clean gently...
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Eric wrote:
I had not thought about the static issue - thanks for that thought!

My vacuum is an Oreck XL little hand-held unit and it's just to clean the fans,
the case air input screen, and the case interior.  It's "canned air" for all the
electronic stuff like the CPU fan and the graphics card fan.

Eric

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:

I opened the case to vacuum the interior and the vents

What exactly do you mean by vacuum, your household floor vacuum, or one of
those little pen-style keyboard vacuums?