Eric on 26 Jan 2008 05:46:26 -0800

Re: [PLUG] tasklist.exe is a handy Windows CLI tool similar to ps/top

jeff wrote:
> Mike Leone wrote:
>> Really? I never had Norton or McAfee trigger on anything from
>> SysInternals ...
>> ___
>
> Symantec corporate tried to eat them frequently.  I have to give
> Symantec credit - it tried to eat a whole lot of my admin utils.
>
> Unfortunately they've developed Windows Syndrome, in that the AV has
> become fat and bloated, slowing down everything it touches.  We're
> keeping it for desktops and moving elsewhere for servers.  Getting rid
> of it on the desktop is going to be PAINFUL.
>
> I have been using AVG on Win boxes lately.  Doesn't slow them down.

I've had a similar experience with Norton/Symantec Internet Security.
Occasionally it goes "crazy" and becomes a total resource hog slowing the
computer to a crawl.  Uninstalling is the only solution I've found.  Same for
Macafee.

I'm using Avast! anti-virus free edition (14 month renewable license for
personal use) and it works like a charm.  An associate of my swears by nod32 but
it a pay-for program.

For a firewall I use sunbelt-software's personal firewall.  It's much better
behaved than norton and cheaper too.

For Linux I use... oh, nevermind. :-)

Eric
--