Bill Diehl on 31 Jan 2008 20:26:18 -0800

[PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Suggestions

Dear PLUG Members:

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.  I really appreciate
your responsiveness and willingness to help.  I will pursue the
resources that you all have provided.  Perhaps when I can
conclude something more specific I will be better able to ask better
questions.

Because I learned that Debian was underlying popular Linux
distros, like Ubantu and Linspire, I decided to just go with the core
distro.  Having run both Ubantu and Linspire from their CDs, I also
did not want the overhead of the desktops that they have (ran really
slowly on my Athlon 1.2GHz Thunderbird).

I have been able to configure Debian-Etch with IceWM to eliminate
the need for a desktop and have it fully functional as a stand-alone
system.  The primary obstacle to running Etch daily has been the
lack of a functioning network.  Because it has been several months
since I worked with Etch, I've forgotten most of what I had learned
while setting everything up - the networking frustration just burned
me out.  My goal was to set up a lean Debian configuration and I
seemed to be doing pretty well for a newbie until I hit the SAMBA
wall.

Hopefully the resources that you all provided will inspire me to go
back at it again.  I know SAMBA is running and the configuration
files were set as best as I could determine from the documentation
but just did not know how to configure it any differently to make it
work.  I will see what I can learn from what you all provided.  It must
be possible to get SAMBA to work with Etch (unless there is a bug
in Etch as some have suggested on other forums).

Thanks again,
--Bill Diehl