Chad Vogelsong on 31 Jan 2008 21:37:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Suggestions

Bill Diehl wrote:
> Dear PLUG Members:
>
> Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.  I really appreciate
> your responsiveness and willingness to help.  I will pursue the
> resources that you all have provided.  Perhaps when I can
> conclude something more specific I will be better able to ask better
> questions.
>
> Because I learned that Debian was underlying popular Linux
> distros, like Ubantu and Linspire, I decided to just go with the core
> distro.  Having run both Ubantu and Linspire from their CDs, I also
> did not want the overhead of the desktops that they have (ran really
> slowly on my Athlon 1.2GHz Thunderbird).
>
> I have been able to configure Debian-Etch with IceWM to eliminate
> the need for a desktop and have it fully functional as a stand-alone
> system.  The primary obstacle to running Etch daily has been the
> lack of a functioning network.  Because it has been several months
> since I worked with Etch, I've forgotten most of what I had learned
> while setting everything up - the networking frustration just burned
> me out.  My goal was to set up a lean Debian configuration and I
> seemed to be doing pretty well for a newbie until I hit the SAMBA
> wall.
>
> Hopefully the resources that you all provided will inspire me to go
> back at it again.  I know SAMBA is running and the configuration
> files were set as best as I could determine from the documentation
> but just did not know how to configure it any differently to make it
> work.  I will see what I can learn from what you all provided.  It must
> be possible to get SAMBA to work with Etch (unless there is a bug
> in Etch as some have suggested on other forums).
>
> Thanks again,
> --Bill Diehl

I hope you did not just try to run them off the CD to test their speed.
Running them off the CD is like running them on a 66 MHz PC.  The CD's
are just meant so that you can see what they offer.  I run a full Ubuntu
/ GNOME desktop on a Pentium III, 700 MHz with 196 MB RAM and it is
quite fast.  Application load times for Firefox & OpenOffice are under 4
seconds.

If you are really concerned about not loading down your system, but want
the ease of use of Ubuntu, try running Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org)
instead.  It uses the lightweight XFce desktop environment and should
run quite well on your system, as long as you have 64 MB RAM or more.

I think you will find the *buntu family much easier to use than Debian
and will not cause you a brain drain when trying to set them up.  Yes,
Debian is all great and powerful.  It is a father to many other distros,
but Ubuntu improves upon Debians power by offering exceptional ease of
use.  For simplicity's sake and for your health, please try it.

Chad