Brian Vagnoni on 31 Jan 2008 17:52:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is PLUG Appropriate For Me?

>Last summer (2007) I embarked on the great transition from
>Windows 98SE to Debian/GNU Linux - Etch. However, I got stuck
>and still continue to use Windows 98SE (it does everything I need it
> to do but I'm pressing its limits).

Dude :-) (Windows 98SE.....) Wow haven't heard that one in awhile
still see it and WIN95 on POS(Point of Sale aka networked cash
registers) systems but that's about it.

>The one major problem that I have not been able to figure out is
>how to get SAMBA configured so that my computer can share files
>and printers with our two other Windows 98SE computers hard-
>wired through a 4-port router. The 3 Win98SE machines work just
>fine networked together but I cannot figure out how to setup
>SAMBA in Debian-Etch to work the same way.

>Networking has never been something I grasped and having spent
>several weeks over the summer on forums and reading the SAMBA
>documentation only ended in more frustration. I could not figure it
>out on my own and just gave up - until now.

>Since my mind is not functional enough to comprehend this
>networking issue, I am essentially looking for help with just getting
>Debian and SAMBA fully operational - even if I have to pay
>someone a reasonable fee to do so. Can you tell, I am at wits end
>with this and don't know where to get the help I need.

I'm sure you will get many experienced and well informed opinions
here. The list is very pro Ubuntu but if you want to play well with
Windows Opensuse IMHO is the way to go. http://www.opensuse.com

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955