Kristian Erik Hermansen on 31 Jan 2008 14:42:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is PLUG Appropriate For Me?

On Jan 31, 2008 12:41 PM, Bill Diehl <infonews@verizon.net> wrote:
> From what I have seen on your website, it looks like you folks enjoy
> mostly high-end technical aspects of Linux and Unix.  I got the
> impression that Linux can do everything that Windows XP can do
> and much more with greater stability and reliability.  Since both
> Linux and XP are foreign to me, I am basically starting from square
> one with either OS.
>
> Even though I have been working with computers for 20+ years,
> using applications, configuring, building, repairing, teaching
> applications, etc., a disabling health condition that has plagued me
> since 1993 has turned my brain to mush.  That is, I just cannot
> grasp, retain, and apply this technical stuff like I used to and my
> energy and interest for doing so is just not there as in my younger
> years.
>
> The one major problem that I have not been able to figure out is
> how to get SAMBA configured so that my computer can share files
> and printers with our two other Windows 98SE computers hard-
> wired through a 4-port router.  The 3 Win98SE machines work just
> fine networked together but I cannot figure out how to setup
> SAMBA in Debian-Etch to work the same way.

I think the new free Ubuntu Training manual has details on pretty much
everything someone who is transitioning from Windows would need to
know.  I believe there is a chapter on setting up SAMBA as well!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=instructor.pdf
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."