Bill Diehl on 31 Jan 2008 12:54:24 -0800

[PLUG] Is PLUG Appropriate For Me?

Dear PLUG Members:

Last summer (2007) I embarked on the great transition from
Windows 98SE to Debian/GNU Linux - Etch.  However, I got stuck
and still continue to use Windows 98SE (it does everything I need it
to do but I'm pressing its limits).

Since I am not a hacker/programmer/geek/guru by any means and
mostly just need help with getting Debian-Etch (or later) fully
operational (before I lose my sanity and buy Windows XP), I was
wondering if PLUG is appropriate for me.

>From what I have seen on your website, it looks like you folks enjoy
mostly high-end technical aspects of Linux and Unix.  I got the
impression that Linux can do everything that Windows XP can do
and much more with greater stability and reliability.  Since both
Linux and XP are foreign to me, I am basically starting from square
one with either OS.

Even though I have been working with computers for 20+ years,
using applications, configuring, building, repairing, teaching
applications, etc., a disabling health condition that has plagued me
since 1993 has turned my brain to mush.  That is, I just cannot
grasp, retain, and apply this technical stuff like I used to and my
energy and interest for doing so is just not there as in my younger
years.

The one major problem that I have not been able to figure out is
how to get SAMBA configured so that my computer can share files
and printers with our two other Windows 98SE computers hard-
wired through a 4-port router.  The 3 Win98SE machines work just
fine networked together but I cannot figure out how to setup
SAMBA in Debian-Etch to work the same way.

Networking has never been something I grasped and having spent
several weeks over the summer on forums and reading the SAMBA
documentation only ended in more frustration.  I could not figure it
out on my own and just gave up - until now.

Since my mind is not functional enough to comprehend this
networking issue, I am essentially looking for help with just getting
Debian and SAMBA fully operational - even if I have to pay
someone a reasonable fee to do so.  Can you tell, I am at wits end
with this and don't know where to get the help I need.

So, if this post is not appropriate for this group, please accept my
apologies and please delete this post.  If there is any help out
there, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Bill Diehl
East Greenville