Matthew Rosewarne on 1 Feb 2008 13:11:10 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Suggestions

On Friday 01 February 2008, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> For a normal Desktop, I don't think it is worth the effort.  However,
> you are dead wrong about not being "faster".  Do you understand what
> 3DNOW, MMX, SIMD are?  Do you understand that you don't get to use a
> majority of these when you run a standard i386 binary?  I don't know
> why I am even trying to make my point.

Well, I make good use of the SSE on my chip running Debian.  In fact, I just
recently had to fix an app because it wasn't using MMX/SSE/3DNow/AltiVec.

> I think we all totally agree
> that the time wasted on building the distro is not great for a
> desktop.  However, when you are utilizing a few software packages that
> need to be incredibly fast, speed counts and amplifies your return on
> investment.  You think movie studios render film using i386
> binaries??!!?!?  Ridiculous!!!!  There, I just proved a valid use.  It
> does not, however, involve a desktop user...

If you look, you'll notice that, for the most part, software that really
benefits from SIMD instructions typically either detect them at runtime or
have optimised packages available.  If you want to force optimisation for any
package, you can use apt-build.