Kristian Erik Hermansen on 1 Feb 2008 12:46:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Suggestions

On Feb 1, 2008 10:31 AM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
> Relax, ye Gentoo-lovers.  I never said that Gentoo wasn't useful in a variety
> of situations, just that it wasn't faster.  I'm sure every new Linux user has
> heard talk of Gentoo being "like, totally faster", which might lead some to
> get in well over their heads.

For a normal Desktop, I don't think it is worth the effort.  However,
you are dead wrong about not being "faster".  Do you understand what
3DNOW, MMX, SIMD are?  Do you understand that you don't get to use a
majority of these when you run a standard i386 binary?  I don't know
why I am even trying to make my point.  I think we all totally agree
that the time wasted on building the distro is not great for a
desktop.  However, when you are utilizing a few software packages that
need to be incredibly fast, speed counts and amplifies your return on
investment.  You think movie studios render film using i386
binaries??!!?!?  Ridiculous!!!!  There, I just proved a valid use.  It
does not, however, involve a desktop user...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."