TuskenTower on 1 Feb 2008 12:48:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Suggestions

On Feb 1, 2008 9:12 AM, brent timothy saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> but definitely agree with you, LiveCD's are NOT an accurate
> representation of actual speed.
>
> but please, distro wars are SO 1998.
>

> Bill, i'm glad to have you here. I'm going to give you the best advice
> out of everyone so far- sure, i'd personally recommend ubuntu to someone
> new to modern linux, but you need to try all of them (well, maybe not
> ALL). try as many as you can find. you can't find what's right for YOU
> without experimenting! distros are getting more and more different as
> time goes by (already *buntu and debian seem worlds apart, from the
> internal systems side. i can remember when *buntu was just debian with a
> facelift and prettier colours.) and there are MANY different distros and
> branches for a reason! same reason there are different scents and types
> of soap- people value different things, they like having a choice, and
> sometimes you need a different kind to do a different job.
>
> my $0.02
>
> --
> Brent Saner

I'll pony up an extra  2cents to go with Brent's.  Go with Ubuntu.  I
first moved to Debian after using OpenSuSE for a while.  My move was
based on Debian's support for PPC compared to the other distros.  I
have since moved to Ubuntu because it was the best general purpose
distribution to run MythTV on.  Ubuntu has made a large number of
tasks falling off the log easy.

Here's what you should do.  Partition your HD with four partitions,
one swap, one for /home, on for / and another for a backup linux
installation.  Install Ubuntu and get comfortable with it.  Once you
have all the warm fuzzies install a lighter Ubuntu (server for
instance) and pick and choose the components you want.  If it does not
work out, you still have your fall back and you can still redo the
spare partition.

HTH
Amul