Matthew Rosewarne on 2 Feb 2008 14:21:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] I'm Convinced To Try Ubuntu

On Saturday 02 February 2008, Bill Diehl wrote:
> Thank you for your persistence in pointing me in a more sane
> direction.  I look forward to finally using Linux, rather than struggle
> with it.  In time, I will learn what I need to know and enjoy the
> experience.

You did very well with Debian, better than any new user I've ever seen.  One
thing you'll learn about Linux users is that we tend to be fairly evangelical
about our preferred software.  I'll certainly admit my rather overt bias for
KDE as desktop and Debian as distribution.

> OK, folks, you convinced me to try Ubuntu.  Now I hope this does
> not spark a war over which derivative of Ubuntu is best, since
> Xubuntu looks to be of most interest to me at this time.

If you later decide to keep Debian, I would recommend using the testing branch
("lenny"), which has much newer software.  Don't be put off by the name, it's
still as or more reliable than many other distributions final releases.

> I may be stubborn and attached to my current configuration but I
> have also learned to let go when it makes sense to do so.  So, I will
> abandon my favorite boot commander and allow GRUB to take
> over for boot loading and abandon my Debian install (for now).

It should be possible to let your preferred bootloader have the MBR and only
install GRUB on the boot sector of the Linux partition.  Nowadays though,
GRUB should be able to boot any OS without problems.