K.S. Bhaskar on 12 Feb 2008 13:25:39 -0800

[PLUG] Finding a motherboard with a BIOS that does not block CPU virtualization

We have been burned both times that we purchased AMD64 motherboards
recently (2 Gigabyte models from Newegg).  The CPUs support
virtualization (evidence from /proc/cpuinfo), but the kernel modiule
kvm-amd fails to load with an error.  Google tells me that this is the
result of a BIOS that blocks virtualization.  Is there any way to tell
before purchasing a mobo whether or not the BIOS blocks
virtualization?  This doesn't seem to be a feature that mobo
manufacturers advertise.

Alternatively, if you purchased an AMD64 mobo in the last 3-6 months
and are able to successfully modprobe kvm-amd, would you please let me
know manufacturer and model, please?

Thanx muchly, in advance.

Regards
-- Bhaskar