brent timothy saner on 13 Feb 2008 16:33:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation

James Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 07:14:08PM -0500, James Barrett wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 05:53:31PM -0500, TuskenTower wrote:
>>> In the past, I have always added HDs to my Linux machines and that was
>>> pretty simple.  This time, I want to remove the HD that hosts my root
>>> filesystem.
>> snip...
>>
>>> Is there a better way to do this?  And can I
>>> do this without having to drop into single user mode to turn off
>>> everything else (I can dream)?
>> Is there a reason why you can not do this under knoppix?
>>
>>> I do realize that I'm going to mess up my fstab.  Is there anything
>>> else that might complain about what I am doing?
>> Your bootloader won't complain.  It wont be doing much of anything from
>> a drive that is not connected...  Restructuring /etc/lilo.conf or
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst (or the equivalent) is reccomended.  I would suggest
>> you at least look through it.
>>
>> I absolutely recommend that you do this with knoppix.
>>

> I failed to mention that you will need to re-install the bootloader on a
> disk (preferably the 160GB, there is really no advantage to booting from
> the mythtv disk).  It is also typically a good idea to set the bootable
> flag on the /boot partition using fdisk or something similar.
>
> Do not forget about swap space...

+1 to all that was mentioned.

in addition,

if you define your fstab by device UID instead of device name, you won't
have to touch it after the copying (other than, of course, changing it
to note that the entire / is on one hdd from my understanding of your case).

it'd be better to do it with a livecd, as mentioned. otherwise you can
run into a lot of grief with things like lock files and buffer files, etc.

--
Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols:
no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.

GPG INFO:
pub   1024D/832D950A 2008-01-26
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com>
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner (ACE Technology Group,
www.acetechgroup.com) <sanerb@acetechgroup.com>
sub   4096g/1C18F61D 2008-01-26
(pgp.mit.edu)
FINGERPRINT: