Bill Diehl on 2 Mar 2008 14:03:26 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hosting Mediawiki

On 2 Mar 2008 at 16:23, JP Vossen wrote:

> Oops, forgot one.  Any recommendations for hosting a Mediawiki site?
> I want inexpensive to start with, but if it grows, I'd like to be able
> to expand as seamlessly as possible.
>
> I hear a lot of good things about 1and1.com, but
> http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/FeatureSite-buildingCnba says
> "MediaWiki - available early 2008" which doesn't inspire me.  OTOH it
> may be easy enough to just install Mediawiki on a 1and1 site anyway.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> JP

While I have registered several domains with 1&1 Internet, I have
not yet hosted with them.  I use their included domain forwarding to
redirect to free hosts.  Within the past few month I have compared
domain registrars and found 1&1 to be the least expensive or just a
penny more that some others.

One free host that I've used is the web space provided by my ISP,
since it is not for commercial use.

You may find Google Pages of use: http://pages.google.com/?pli=1

Then there is http://www.freewebtown.com/community/index.php
but you would have to see if the basic bandwidth is sufficient for
your needs.

DreamHost and FatJackHosting were recommended by an internet
marketers.  If I recall correctly, one of them runs on a Debian
server.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html
http://www.fatjackhosting.com/

Hope this helps,