Douglas Muth on 2 Mar 2008 14:01:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Domain registrar thoughts and Mediawiki

>  However, they do registrations and domain services very well.  In fact
>  it is safe to say that the only thing they do well is domain name
>  registration.

I can't say I agree with that, after reading the site http://nodaddy.com/.

The site lists several horror stories of people who have had their
domain names taken hostage by GoDaddy with no warning or notice.  Want
the domain back?  That will be a $199 ransom--er--"reactivation fee".
Want to transfer the domain after it's been taken hostage?  That'll be
a $75 "administrative fee".  A quick check of their forums reveals a
steady stream of complaints about GoDaddy.

As for recommendations, until my webhost became a reseller of domain
registration services, I used to do business with Npsis.com.  I had a
pretty good experience with them, including one situation where I
dropped the ball on a domain and let it lapse.  I called them up and
paid the registration over the phone--they didn't even charge me a
"reactivation fee".  And when it was time to leave, they provided me
with the necessary EPP codes, no questions asked.

-- Doug